When an engineering students graduate from engineering college, most of them don’t know the details of typical jobs in the industry. Most of the engineering colleges don’t do enough to give on the job training to students to understand the industry operations.
Students end up in selecting the jobs which they dreamed of and land up in profiles which they regret throughout their career. There is a real need for correcting the pattern of engineering programs.
Anyway, are you here to find out the million dollar question of detail understanding of the job profiles in typical Automotive Industry then you are at correct place.
Before reading, please understand that typical jobs in industry use only 10% of engineering knowledge learned throughout the 4 or 5 years engineering degree. There would be very few job profiles which will use more than that. All you need is job specific knowledge and aptitude learned in engineering. Aptitude of quick learning, handling the pressure, stretching your boundaries, and facing the audience are the qualities engineering gives to a typical student and that is required most of the time in your job profile.
So here are a few key job profiles, which you can consider.
- DESIGN ENGINEER: Design engineer typically has a job of designing components of the car. No designer designs an entire car unless he is the original concept designer. Generally, Concept designing happens at the Design Studio located at homeroom ( mother plant or main design facility of the company). Sometimes concept designing is offloaded to design firms. So generally design engineers have the work of designing individual systems such as seating, dashboard. One system may have a number of engineers. You can learn 3D designing, GD&T, and working of typical systems of the car. If you are really fond of 3D modeling then it is a good choice. If you are fond of concept designing then you should have the design degree such Masters in Design or similar.
- MANUFACTURING/ PRODUCTION ENGINEER: This profile typically has a job of handling production. In day to day operation, you will learn to handle manpower, to build interpersonal relationships and to resolve design/ process issue. Generally, this job has a hectic work schedule due to on the toes kind of work. Stopping of production for minute means loss of car production and has a great impact on cost. Guys who are really good at handling manpower can think of this profile.
- MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING ENGINEER/ PROCESS PLANNING ENGINEER: This profile is a bridge between design and manufacturing. Typical job profile has a responsibility of planning a process to manufacture a car from the designs. Creating process sheets/ installing required machines and equipment for manufacturing/ achieving required quality out of all the facilities are the key responsibilities. Guys who are fond of project management and process planning can think of this profile. This job requires agility/ problem resolution/ thinking ahead/Leading from the front kind of qualities
- QUALITY ENGINEER: Quality Engineer has a job of developing quality targets for product and also maintaining the same during production. This profile has responsibilities of checking the car quality during production such as torques to the joints, gaps/ flushness, and functionality of systems. Quality Engineer is a key stakeholder of problem resolution and uses different tools such as SPC, why-why analysis etc. If you have an interest in working on problem resolution, analyzing data then you can go for this.
- LOGISTICS ENGINEER: Logistics department is responsible for different functions such as getting the parts from a supplier, managing supply of parts on production line, getting consumables and indirect parts. Getting the parts from supplier involves the use of supply chain strategies such as Just in Time, Sequencing, warehousing etc. Supplying part on production line involves the different supply methods such as direct on a production line, making kits and then supply etc. If you are fond of supply chain methods then you can opt for this profile. This profile needs the capability of dealing with a supplier, fluctuations in demand and supply, handling manpower on the shop floor for material supply.
These are key job profiles and do not cover the entire Automotive jobs portfolio. However, if you have any question then you can reach out and get all your doubts clarified.